Thursday, June 6, 2013

23ish Weeks

Well, last night I had my first in-the-middle-of-the-night leg cramp. It was very painful and loud because I woke up yelling, which made Michael wake up, but since he is so lovely he rubbed it until the cramp went away and then immediately fell back to sleep. I myself am not so lucky, and took quite a long time to go back to sleep. I read today all the things to do to help "prevent" leg cramps but I am already doing most of those things (walking and exercising and eating dairy products and not staying in the same position for too long - though I have no control over the last one when I'm sleeping so, whatever). Here's hoping my legs don't take up a cramping habit!


We are going to name our little baby girl Evelyn Mae, and I have taken to calling her Baby Ev. The more I think about that name the more I die from loving it. It's so romantic and lovely. But what is super annoying to me is that every name website I look it up on has a different origin and meaning. Apparently, it is german, hebrew, english, french, or celtic, depending on what site you're reading. It also means life, wished for child, beautiful bird, or even hazelnut. This one site seems to acceptably sum it up:

 http://wiki.name.com/en/Evelyn
Evelyn is related to the Hebrew name Eve (meaning “life”) and may have arisen as a familiar nickname for Eve. It is also related to the French name Aveline (from the Latin root “avis” meaning “bird”), and may be an Anglicization of that name. The name was originally used as a female first name, then as a surname, then as a male first name, and now it is primarily a female first name again. Some use of Evelyn may also derive from a Celtic name, Eiblin, which means “pleasant.”  Many sources claim the English meaning of the name is “hazelnut.” 

So maybe I'll tell her that her name means "lively pleasant hazelnut colored bird that I wished for". Ha. But I also like this easy description

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_meaning_of_Evelyn
Evelyn, meaning "little bird," is derived from the French name "Aveline". Evelyn is also used as a family name. Celtic meaning "life" or "life-giving"

Maybe I should just go with "little bird"?  But I really want it be a celtic name so in that case I would have to say the meaning is "life". Hrm.

Mae, on the other hand, literally doesn't mean anything, other than being a month of the year that we are purposefully misspelling. I hope she doesn't hate me for that. I did read on one site that it means "bitter". So I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that.

Growing up, I always thought my first name was super boring but at least it meant "Princess". That was kind of ah-mah-zing for a little girl. My middle name on the other hand (Aileen) , I despised for some time - I blame this largely on the inherent stupidity of children (they can't help it, they're just too little to make proper judgments on things like names). Of course as I grew up (adults are far more reasonable), I came to truly love my middle name when I got older. Enough of this paragraph, I"m using too many parentheses.

Michael doesn't really seem to be concerned with name meanings. Maybe this was a bigger deal in my family than it was in others. We were always obsessed (I may be overusing that word slightly) with giving the vast multitude of children in our house (and even the pets that came and went) a name that meant something. But I am finding that not everyone takes name-meanings so seriously, so maybe it's not really that big of a deal.

Baby Ev is kicking me like crazy lately - the last week or two I have started to seeing the kicks on the outside of my belly, which for whatever reason I find totally hilarious and it always makes me start giggling. She really loves doing this during long boring meetings at work, it's like she knows I need some entertainment. One of these days I'm going to be in a meeting and someone is going to look over and see my stomach moving and that's going to be...funny? I mean, it literally looks like there's an alien trying to get out of my stomach. Maybe I watch too many sci fi movies.

Our 6 month appointment was this week. I KNOW. It's going by so fast and I haven't even started painting the baby room yet. I'm going to at least get it started this weekend, I swears it. It's supposed to be rainy a little bit, and Michael will be gone for Dan's bachelor party so I will have time to kill. This morning I started to reconsider my color scheme (that's what I get for waiting so long to get started) but then I stopped because if I go down that road, I will then need (I use the term "need" very loosely) to repick everything on my baby registry and that would just be ridiculous. So, we're sticking with green and yellow and I will think no more on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment