Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Hopes & Dreams for Baby Ev

Dear Baby Ev,

When you grow up, you will learn that I love lists. Here is my first list for you, of things that I hope and dream for your life:

1. I hope when you start driving, you use proper turn signaling etiquette. It's really horrific the way some people drive about willy nilly without letting anyone else on the road know what they are doing or where they are going. Please don't be one of those people and I will be forever grateful.

2. I hope you only listen to all the good music. I will give you a pass on this during those treacherous highschool years to "like" terrible music if you must (even though I will secretly know you really don't know yet what you like and so I will inundate you with all the good kinds and wait for you to come to your senses). I liken terrible music to Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, One Direction, Chris Brown, and GOD please don't listen to anything that remotely resembles Nickelback. Off the top of my head, I would liken "all the good music" to Florence and The Machine, Iron & Wine, AC/DC, CCR, John Prine, Regina Spektor, or The Faint. Also, I hope you enjoy a wide variety of music, as your father and I celebrate quite a range of musical genres. There is one exception to this entire paragraph, and it can be summed up in two words: Britney Spears.

3. I hope you love Han Solo as much as I do.

4. I hope you love reading. When I was a kid I was forever stuck in a book - my mom would tell me that I was going to go blind from reading in the car and this terrified me...but I snuck the reading anyways (turns out the whole blindness thing was a myth). I do hope that the world around you is so enjoyable and you have so much to do and look forward to that you have more to do than just constantly read all the time like I did...but I do so hope you enjoy the greatness of a good book and that with it, you grow a wild and vivid imagination. Also, your Aunt Julia and I will require you to read all of our favorite trilogies and sagas and we will discuss them together at length, and with great emotion.

5. I hope you enjoy fine things and not-so-fine things. Manicures and camping. Stilettos and canoeing. Fancy dinners in the city and hotdogs with macaroni and cheese. Flashy jewelry and star gazing. Champagne and PBR. Shoe shopping and building fires. The finer things seem to be adding up quickly, so preferably you will equally enjoy both and we won't go broke over your exquisite tastes.

6. I hope you don't care what anyone thinks and be who you want to be and do what you want to do. I mean, within reason. Let's not get crazy and go live in a van and stop showering or anything...

7. I hope you are a good speller. Sorry, I wasn't going to include any academic hopes because it's kind of rude of me but, truly, if cleanliness is next to godliness then proper spelling is probably next to sainthood.

List to be continued, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment