We started our Bradley birth classes on Friday. I really liked the instructor, and obviously I like the course because 1) my mom used to teach it so, duh, and 2) I already have a pretty firm grasp on what kind of information we'd be getting and what we'd be learning and all that so I knew I would like it - the idea of natural birth is nothing new to me so, whatevs.
The whole "my butt hurts from sitting thing" doesn't really go along well with a 2 hour sitting-on-the-floor class, but I assume I'll survive. I do have one question -- why is the material all so old? The book I'm required to read is, literally, from 1984 - this is seriously a year after I was born. Seriously, I'm not teasing. The book was apparently then re-released in 1996. Which is seven.teen.years.ago. SEVENTEEN. I recognize the basic principles are all still the same, but it would make me feel a lot better if I knew I was reading updated statistics and data. It's hard for me to take things seriously if they are older than AOL instant messenger. Now that's dating yourself.
I have also discovered that I eat 50-60 grams of protein by the time I have finished breakfast in the morning. This is because I have: orange juice and vanilla protein powder (it tastes like an orange julius, I am a genius), a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese, some coffee with skim milk, and a greek yogurt with grape nuts. Post lunch today, I was at a whopping 91 grams of protein. Yeah, I get to fruit it up the rest of the day! I have a bag of apricots literally calling my name.
Anyways. So I guess Baby Ev is probably going to come out weighing 9lbs or something ridiculous. I equate vast protein consumptions to large babies and here's why: The Bradley Method apparently used to recommend ONE HUNDRED GRAMS of protein a day (it is currently closer to 80 grams a day). And my mom's babies were all 9lbs and up (there may have been one or two exceptions, but between seven kids she probably averaged like 9 lbs 10 oz. per kid so, close enough). Therefore, one plus one would, at least in my mother's case, seem to equal big, giant babies. I always wanted a tiny baby because my mom always had big ones, but of course this is very selfish of me as I am told the bigger (within reason) the baby the healthier the baby and that's all that matters yaddah yaddah etc and so on. My belly was 26 centimeters at my 23 weeks appt, which I guess is technically 3 centimeters bigger than it should be. The midwife didn't seem to find this odd at all. My mom on the other hand goes: "whaaaaat?! oh, maybe you have twins!". Le sigh.
In other news, as you may have guessed I am still obsessed with fruit. Mostly, watermelon and peaches and apricots. I gained more weight than I wanted to last month but I'm over it, for now anyways. Also, I was sick with a chest cold for two weeks so I mostly just laid around and bemoaned my fate. These days I'm looking definitely, no doubt about it, for sure pregnant, so a couple extra pounds isn't bothering me and everyone tells me that I look great and cute and I'm all "aww, thanks!" and feeling happy about myself. I'm fully expecting to feel the opposite when I get to month 9, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, now won't we.
Oh, and this: Study Finds Adverse Effects of Pitocin (now I am making a shocked face! not)
Now, Sarah, that's very interesting. I tended towards the high protein end of things (was following the Brewer diet with Abby) and I had little babies (Gabe was only 6 lbs 5 ozs at term, Abby was just under 6 pounds at 37 weeks). Fast-forward to the next generation, Abby ate heavily of carbs and not high protein at all. Her babies were 8 and a half pounds at 41 weeks and almost 9 pounds at 39 weeks. Her friend Emily who ate high protein had little babies (none of them over 7 poundish). So I don't know that the high protein thing necessarily results in bigger babies. Our country's obesity problem seems to be related more to high carbohydrate than high protein. I still believe that protein is important for growing babies. Abby has actually contemplated eating more protein next time around in hopes she might have a somewhat smaller baby. Current baby weighed in at a whopping 15 lbs plus at two months so he's a lot to lug around.
ReplyDelete