Thursday, January 31, 2013
1.31.13 Pilates and Snarkiness
So I got a prenatal pilates dvd that got great reviews and promised to be excellent. I did it this morning and I mean, it was good, but I would not classify it as pilates. Also, the girl wanted me to have a resistance band and apparently Michael broke ours a while back. You have to SAY ON THE DVD what equipment is required do the exercises so I am not surprised and unprepared. Ugh. I digress. So it was basically squats, lunges, push ups, and crunches for 40 mins. I can do that on my own, thanks. They didn't even do a plank. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not doing planks, you're not doing pilates. So, the hunt for a true pilates dvd continues. I have determined via Julia and the internet that during the 1st trimester pretty much no exercise is off limits. So I could probably just get an actual pilates dvd and be fine with that. But I do kind of enjoy having it say "prenatal" on it because it makes me feel more pregnant, and like a special lady. Merp.
Know what I realized my attribute to my being so down on pregnancy? All the snarky pregnancy blogs I have been finding. "you are going to be soooo tired!", "ew, your vagina is going to be sooo ugly and you have to use grandma pads!", "the baby is going to cry and cry and you will never, ever get to shower!", "you will probably be super fat and not want to have sex for a really long time!", "you are not a supermodel who loses 30 pounds over night so don't even bother trying to get skinny!", "having a baby is just work work work and ewwwww waaaahhhh". Maybe these writers do not mean to incur such stress on soon to be mothers, and are just trying to be funny about their situation by over exaggerating it. Which, I mean, I am really good at myself so I completely understand. But it's mostly super scary to hear.
It reminds me about all the things I read about marriage before I got married. All the snarky, mean things like, "you will fight about soooo many things!", "eventually we all end up in couples therapy!", "he's going to want to have sex all the time and you never will!", "welcome to a ball and chain for the rest of your life!", "wah!", "ew!", and etc. But as it turns out, Michael and I love marriage. I don't have anything snarky to say about it at all. It's pretty much the bees knees getting to hang out with your best friend everything single day.
So this causes me to wonder, are all the terrifying things that people write about becoming parents really as bad as they sound? I feel like it's possible that they are not. That I will sleep, that I will shower, that I will drop post baby pounds, and that I will, most certainly, seriously, ridiculously love the little baby Michael and I have made together. Our life is about to change drastically and while I am nervous for it, I know deep down inside that it's all going to work out just fine and once that switch labeled "change" gets flipped, we are never going to want it any other way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment